PYRC #28: The Best Taco Soup

It's cold weather season, and that means soup. And this taco soup, specifically, is one for the books.

Pin It

I actually wrote this post, but a different post, a month ago, about a taco soup recipe passed from my MeMaw to my aunt to my mom to me, but then I made this Pinterest taco soup (from Weight Watchers Recipes) and realized that they're identical recipes - minus things like black beans versus hot chili beans, Mexican stewed tomatoes versus Rotel.

Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground turkey or beef
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 packet ranch dressing mix
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1 large can hominy
  • 1 can pinto beans
  • 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 can Mexican stewed tomatoes

Directions
  1. Brown the meat and onions in a big pot
  2. Add ranch mix and taco seasoning to meat
  3. Add all other ingredients (only the black beans need to be drained and rinsed)
  4. Simmer for one hour
  5. Top with cheese, tortilla strips, sour cream, avocado and chives (optional, but recommended)

This soup is hearty and warms you to the bone, almost like a chili. Add some broth and additional seasoning if you want it to be more soupy. Also, the canned ingredients can vary slightly, and you'll still end up with the same great result.

Round 1 with the Family Recipe (+ bell peppers)
Round 2 with the Pinterest Recipe

I'm not very experienced in soup making, but it's easy to know that this simple recipe is a winner for all. I give this must-try an A+, by far one of my faves, and it will permanently be added to the Germenis menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. We love comments and kudos!

Popular Posts