PYRC #37: Crock Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken

I've been tackling quite a few Pinterest recipes lately (need to catch up on the blog), including this Crock Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken.

Pin It

I'm surprised I hadn't made this earlier considering the recipe only calls for three ingredients and cooks with no hassle in a crock pot, but somehow I hadn't. Maybe that's because I was determined to use the exact same Target BBQ sauce mentioned in the recipe - Archer Farms Hawaiian Style Barbecue Sauce - and I've never randomly had it in my pantry. [Side note - Target's condiment line had me stopped in my tracks - super dangerous. I now want to try every sauce and marinade that they have.]

The recipe only calls for BBQ sauce, boneless skinless chicken breasts and a can of pineapple chunks. Throw everything in a crock pot (the chicken can even be frozen!), set on low while you're off to work, shred the chicken with a fork or Kitchen Aid mixer once cooked (or once you're back at home), toss all back together, let simmer for another hour in the crock pot (optional) and boom, you're done. [Another side note - if you're throwing your chicken in your KitchenAid mixer to shred (if you haven't tried this yet, you must do), make sure to leave the sauce OUT while mixing. I made that terrible mistake and sauce splashed everywhere, oops.]


For the final result, we served the chicken in a bowl over our fave cilantro lime rice. I thought the combo would be perfect, but... I didn't like the flavor of the Hawaiian BBQ chicken. It needed a kick (maybe something salty to go with all the sweet, maybe even just seasoning), and the rice was not a saving grace. Jeff disagreed with my review, but whatever.

The next night, however, Jeff made sandwiches with the chicken, and I turned a total 180 - absolutely loved it. He added spicy mustard and pickled jalapenos to the sandwich, and that added the perfect flavor contrast against the sweet chicken.


So, while me and this Hawaiian BBQ chicken did not get off on the right foot, I do recommend it for a need-a-quick-meal dinner. It's super convenient and only calls for three ingredients. You can doctor it a bit to add a little punch to the flavor, or if you like milder flavors, the recipe may be perfect for you as is. Thank you to Six Sisters' Stuff for sharing this Crock Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. We love comments and kudos!

Popular Posts