PYRC #39: Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork

I made Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork, and it was... an interesting experience? The best? A fail?
 
Pin It

I've never made pulled pork before, and I must admit, I didn't do such a bad job. However, I used a crock pot, so it was kind of hard to mess up. The original recipe called for a Dutch oven method, but I don't have a Dutch oven (surprisingly), and I needed a method to use while I was at work.
 
{Full recipe here from Pioneer Woman}

STEP 1 - Layer the bottom of your crock pot with sliced onion layers.


STEP 2 - Generously salt and pepper the pork butt and place it in the crock pot fat-side up. (I had to cut the pork I bought in half because it was huge!)


STEP 3 - Cover with Dr. Pepper and Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. (Ah, the chipotle peppers are what got me - too much, too spicy for me - beware!)


STEP 4 - Cook on low in the slow cooker while you're away at work (8-10 hours for me).


STEP 5 - Remove pork, cut away excess fat and shred with a fork (should literally fall apart).


STEP 6 - Ok, this is tricky, and I don't have any better suggestions than what I did. For the leftover liquid, you need to separate the fat from the juice. Well, I don't know how to do that besides refrigerating the juice, letting it cool, letting the fat harden, and then removing the layer of fat that formed on the top.


Pretty gross looking, huh? This refrigerating method was an overnight process for me, so for the first night of shredded pork, we ate it without the juice and made a sandwich. The meat was awesome, so the sandwich was pretty awesome too.


STEP 7 - Warm the juice on the stove and mix in the shredded pork, onions and peppers.


Since we had sandwiches the night before, the second night we made stuffed peppers.


So, I'm still not really sure if I tackled this recipe correctly. The whole separating the fat from the liquid process had me a little thrown off. I really loved the shredded pork solo, so that part was just fine. Mixed in with the spicy Dr. Pepper juices, the shredded pork was still delicious, but the only thing that got in my way of greatness was the darn chipotle peppers. Note, the recipe is called SPICY Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork for a reason, and Pioneer Woman tried to warn me of the heat, but I still underestimated it. Not sure if I should have just used less peppers or if using no peppers at all would have been best. I'm such a siss.

A co-worker of mine makes this recipe all the time, so I know it's possible to get this just right (and maybe even make it look as pretty as in the recipe). You be the judge on this Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork recipe from the infamous Pioneer Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. We love comments and kudos!

Popular Posts