PYRC #47: Lemon and Dill Chicken and Salad with Orange Basil Vinaigrette

This Texas sun is brutal on my mini herb garden, so I've been desperate to find some fresh herb recipes before all of mine die. Thanks to this Lemon Dill Chicken recipe, I was able to use my dill for both the first and last time this year, accompanied by a salad with orange basil vinaigrette.

Pin It

Let's get straight to the point - I was not in love with either of these recipes. Rather than blaming the recipes though, I choose to blame my personal taste preferences (or cooking skills), especially since the caption for the Lemon and Dill Chicken pin was, “BEST DINNER EVER! I’ve made it once a week since I first pinned it. My favorite! Serve with rice and add some of the sauce to it.” I wish I would have been that excited.

Lemon and Dill Chicken. First, the timing on this did not match up for me. It took longer to cook than expected, and since my sauce would not really thicken, I improvised with more flour (maybe too much, too thick).


Not very attractive, I know.

Second, the flavor profile was not strong enough for me, most likely due to the chicken broth and flour and not enough lemon juice. The flavor of the dill really came through in the sauce, though, so that was a nice touch. On a positive note, this is a healthier recipe, so it’s a good option if you're watching your calories. However, Jeff and I make even healthier chicken on the regular, that requires less prep, and it’s even better (see the chicken marinade in this Creamy Grilled Chicken Picatta recipe). Most likely this lemon dill chicken will not be hitting my table again, so I guess I’ll need to find some alternative uses for dill.

(Find the Lemon and Dill Chicken recipe here.)

Orange Basil Vinaigrette. I'm in love with fresh basil from the garden and am obsessed with homemade vinaigrette, so this recipe really should have added up... but it didn't. It just tasted like orange juice, and the cornstarch in it was a little weird. I'd be lying if I didn't say that we doctored the heck out of this one - more vinegar, extra seasoning. I'd much rather stick to my go-to three ingredient vinaigrette next time.

(No recipe link on this one. Caption states, “Ingredients: 2 cups orange juice; 2 tablespoons cornstarch; 1/3 cup white wine vinegar; 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard; 2 teaspoons dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh basil; 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil.”)

Oh well, can't always win in the kitchen. My next Pinterest Yummy Recipe Challenge is much better - Jalapeno Ranch!

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by. We love comments and kudos!

Popular Posts